Unable To Install Nagios Plugins

Marc Powell marc at ena.com
Fri Apr 15 15:38:28 CEST 2005

http://www.nagios.org/faqs/viewfaq.php?faq_id=191. It was also the
number one hit on Google for the error message. There is also
significant discussion of this in the archives if the FAQ entry doesn't
help.

> From the web, when I try to update the check, this is the error
message

> Error: Could not open command file
'/usr/local/nagios/var/rw/nagios.cmd'
> for
> update!
>
> File permission on the directory and the file
>
> drwxrwsr-x  2 nagios nagios 4096 Apr 14 14:44 rw
>
> prw-rw----  1 nagios nagios    0 Apr 14 14:44 nagios.cmd
>
> -rwxr-xr-x  1 nagios nagios 51041 Apr 13 13:21 check_nrpe

Unless you avoided the documented method and added your webserver to the
nagios group and restarted your web server you haven't configured
external commands properly --

http://nagios.sourceforge.net/docs/1_0/commandfile.html

--
Marc