How do nagios logs rotate

scott_yem at agilent.com scott_yem at agilent.com
Thu Apr 14 00:55:22 CEST 2005

I have a process looking at the log files and noticed that when the logs
rotate, my process looking at the log file breaks.  I am using a tail -f
command with a perl script to interpret data coming back via a passive
check.  I am then plugging the information into a rrd and making graphs.
I know this is probably easier with nagiosgraph or something, but this
is a migration from a server running Netsaint 007.  I wanted to get
things running the way they were and then work to get the other files
made up the way we want.

I will try nagiosgraph, but in my last attempts, I was not able to get
it working properly.  The functionality seems to be better than what I
am currently using, but the code for the current solution is more than 3
years old.

I was looking in /etc/logrotate.conf and did not find any log rotation
in there.  If the script was in here I know I could HUP the process for
my script, but I cannot find the process that rotates the logs.

Any help is appreciated.

Scott Yem

Research Computing Services

Agilent Laboratories