Unable To Install Nagios Plugins

Arno Lehmann al at its-lehmann.de
Tue Apr 12 22:34:37 CEST 2005

Hi.

Padmanabh Padaki wrote:

> I was able to compile the plugins by using the source code without
> downloading the module from CPAN. If I look at CPAN module list, I find that
> for Net::SNMP, the module is listed as
>  Net::SNMP                        v5.0.1  D/DT/DTOWN/Net::SNMP
> v5.0.1  D/DT/DTOWN/Net-SNMP-5.0.1.tar.gz.tar.gz.

Did you have to force anything or did the normal sequence of
./configure; make work without errors?

> I already have  Net-SNMP-5.x.x installed on my system.  Is this different
> from what I see on CPAN?  Do I still need to install this perl module from
> CPAN?

The difference might be in what you shyly call x.x - if it's anything
else than 0.1 it probably is different. That's what they use version
numbers for. Now, if this a difference that matters for you is a
different question... but usually there are some release notes availabe
that explain the differences between versions.

> A related question -
>
> After compiling the plugins without downloading the module from CPAN,  the
> nagios daemon is not starting.

What do the plugins have to do with nagios itself here?

> Running in verbose mode, Nagios does not detect any problem with the
> configuration files.  However,when I want to start the daemon, I get the
> following errors.
>
>  [root at nagios modules]# service nagios start
> Starting network monitor: nagios
> No lock file found in /var/run/nagios.pid

This means that nagios is not started or could not create a lock file.

> If I touch this file, then the error is

Don't.

> [root at nagios local]# service nagios start
> Starting network monitor: nagios
> NAGIOS CRITICAL - could not find status log: /var/log/nagios/status.log
>
> If I touch the above file, then the error is

This is nonsense.
Touching anything that is printed on the screen is not a good idea. You
might break more than you have to.

In general, it's advisable to follow the instructions in the manual if
you aren't sure you can do better yourself.

So, I suggest you start fromthe beginning, and when you encounter
problems that can not be solved with the manula you send mail here,
including, of course, relevant information about what you did.

> [root at nagios run]# service nagios start
> Starting network monitor: nagios
> NAGIOS CRITICAL - could not find proc file: /proc/1836672814

Well, have you tried running nagios in the foreground mode? Have you
actually configure nagios? Which version? Which OS? Did you forcibly
compile anything except the plugins?

Arno

IT-Service Lehmann                    al at its-lehmann.de