Unable To Install Nagios Plugins

Subhendu Ghosh sghosh at sghosh.org
Tue Apr 12 23:41:25 CEST 2005

On Tue, 12 Apr 2005, Padmanabh Padaki wrote:

> I was able to compile the plugins by using the source code without
> downloading the module from CPAN. If I look at CPAN module list, I find that
> for Net::SNMP, the module is listed as
>  Net::SNMP                        v5.0.1  D/DT/DTOWN/Net::SNMP
> v5.0.1  D/DT/DTOWN/Net-SNMP-5.0.1.tar.gz.tar.gz.
>
> I already have  Net-SNMP-5.x.x installed on my system.  Is this different
> from what I see on CPAN?  Do I still need to install this perl module from
> CPAN?

These are two different projects and code set.

Net-SNMP from Sourceforge is a set of C based agent and manager apps.
It's original name was UCD-SNMP but the name was changed as the authors
are no longer affiliated with UCDavis.  This set of code also has a perl
interface to the core functions that is present in the perl modules called
"SNMP" and it is distributed with the C apps.

Net::SNMP by David Town is an all Perl implementation of the manager
functionality of SNMP and is distributed thru CPAN only.

Unfortunately the NagiosPlugins project use both the packages.
check_snmp is dependent on the C apps and check_if*status/check_ups /etc
are dependent on the perl module.

It has been easier for use to develop functionality in perl and based on
usage start converting to C code for speed.

> A related question -
>
> After compiling the plugins without downloading the module from CPAN,  the
> nagios daemon is not starting.
>
> Running in verbose mode, Nagios does not detect any problem with the
> configuration files.  However,when I want to start the daemon, I get the
> following errors.
>
>  [root at nagios modules]# service nagios start
> Starting network monitor: nagios
> No lock file found in /var/run/nagios.pid
>
> If I touch this file, then the error is
>
> [root at nagios local]# service nagios start
> Starting network monitor: nagios
> NAGIOS CRITICAL - could not find status log: /var/log/nagios/status.log
>
> If I touch the above file, then the error is
>
> [root at nagios run]# service nagios start
> Starting network monitor: nagios
> NAGIOS CRITICAL - could not find proc file: /proc/1836672814
>
> - padaki

normally Nagios will create its own nagios.pid and status.log files - you
should not have to touch them.  This seems to point to some permisssion
issues.

If you installed from RPM - make sure that the rpm created the appropriate
user/group entries and changed ownership of the direcotries.

Also with Fedora 3 - if you are using SELinux - you may have to add some
entries to configure SELinux...

--

-sg