Setting up a passive check problem

Chris Wilson chris at aidworld.org
Wed Apr 13 01:10:20 CEST 2005

Hi Lewis,

> My problem _seems_ to be my understanding of the basic setup for a
> passive service check.
> The docs say: "...service checks to Nagios, a service must have already
> been defined in the object configuration file
> <http://nagios.sourceforge.net/docs/1_0/configobject.html>"
>
> What "check_command" does a passive service "need"? (it needs a
> command???) I don't want nagios to _DO_ anything, just accept the
> passive results from another process.

The command will not be executed unless (i) the result becomes stale
(exceeds the freshness interval), and (ii) freshness checking is
enabled. This is often useful, so you may want to define a command to
make it possible for the master to make active checks if the passive
results stop arriving for some reason.

You can make the command a dummy command (like check_dummy) if you want,
but the configuration parser does not allow a service to be defined with
no check command at all.

Cheers, Chris.
--
(aidworld) chris wilson | chief engineer (chris at aidworld.org)