Need your help, before I dive in..

Arno Lehmann al at its-lehmann.de
Wed Apr 6 20:51:13 CEST 2005

Hi.

Crutchfield, Calvin wrote:

> I'm in the position to set up some serious monitoring.

So you've got lots of work before you :-)

> can NAGIOS execute our own perl/shell scripts maintained locally on a remote host and report back?  This functionality is crucial.

It can.

Basically, you run a Nagios plugin that uses (for example) ssh to
connect to the remote host and delivers the output - usefully formatted
and condnsed, of course - to nagios. Actually, that's the regular way to
work with Nagios.

> ANy insight to NAGIOS with resepct to this would be extrememely helpful.  This seems like a pretty powerful app and I'm trying to wrap my brain around it to ENSURE that it will suit our needs.  Understanding od course that a significant time investment will be needed to get up and running.

I'd suggest that you simply set up Nagios, try it, ask questions here
and study the docs (not necessarily in this order, though many seem to
prefer it...)

You will hopefully find a very flexible and powerful application.

Arno

IT-Service Lehmann                    al at its-lehmann.de