have to kill/stop nagios 2x to kill it- part II

Dave Hall dhall at vermeermfg.com
Wed Apr 6 15:19:04 CEST 2005

Special thanks to Jeff Vier and Drew Kollasch for their responces.

In our testing we have tried to stop nagios several times and left it over 5
minutes and it is still present when a ps -ef is run.

So far we have delt with the init script  - what about the web interface -
it also does not work.

Origional post:

>>We are playing with the new nagios2.  We have tried nagios2.0b2 and
nagios2.0b3 on Sun Solaris 10, using plugins version 1.4 and are having the
same problem, >>even after we try to stop the process, it is still running.
To kill the nagios process we have to issue a second 'kill <PID>'.

>>So far to stop the process using the nagios script, I have added a second
line to the stop section.  This kludge fixes the init file, but does not fix
the web interface.

>>Either way we try to stop nagios, we find 'caught SIGTERM, stutting down'
in the nagios log and the web interface becomes disfunctional.

>>I have been able to replicate this same scenario on Solaris 9 using Nagios
2.0bx.

Dave