Help: nrpe: Unknown option specified in config file

Dan Stromberg strombrg at dcs.nac.uci.edu
Wed Apr 6 02:03:25 CEST 2005

On Wed, 2005-04-06 at 00:51 +0100, Paul L. Allen wrote:
> John A. Martin writes:
>
> > Many thanks.  I saw the opening brace only after trying to grep for
> > the whole line!  I had been looking for that for several days.  It
> > works now.  Time to change type fonts,
>
> That helps.
>
> > or get younger eyes.
>
> That helps too.  Also useful is first looking at what the error messages
> report.  Yeah, I know, 90% of the time error messages are incorrect
> because the program has been thrown out of kilter by an earlier error it
> didn't report, but sometimes the error messages are correct.  In this case
> the error message was correct.  Another trick is to get somebody else in
> your organization to look it over - somebody without your preconceptions
> about what is and isn't there is likely to spot it in seconds (which is
> what I did - I looked at the log message, looked at the command definition
> and saw the problem immediately).
>
> > What is the recommended way to implement a timeout in shell?
>
> Rewrite the shell script in perl. :)

perl kinda smells bad.

If you want a practical language with a rational syntax, go for python.
http://programming.newsforge.com/article.pl?sid=05/03/29/0747230  It's
good enough for Redhat, Xerox Park, Google, and many more.

But if you want to just get something going quickly, then try my maxtime
program:

http://dcs.nac.uci.edu/~strombrg/software/

It does network (and other forms of) timeouts from shell just fine,
thank you very much.