have to kill nagios 2x to kill it.

jeff vier boinger at tradingtechnologies.com
Tue Apr 5 23:53:56 CEST 2005

On Tue, 2005-04-05 at 16:42 -0500, Drew Kollasch wrote:
> I have been seeing the same issue on my gentoo Linux server w/ nagios
> 2.0b2. I just added the line 'pkill nagios && ps -e | grep nagios' to
> the init script, to ensure that its dead, but would think that this is
> an issue...

I found that nagios will *eventually* die over 95% or so of the time.

in my restart case, I put:

while [ $(pgrep -s $NAGPID | wc -l) -gt 1 ]; do
	sleep 1
	echo -n "."
done

between the 'stop' and 'start'.  it hangs permanently (meaning, it waits
more than, say, a minute) very very rarely.

now that I'm looking at it, I should probably move that to the 'stop'
case, then I get the benefit on a 'stop' as well as a 'restart'.