My final tweak to remove Latency....

Arno Lehmann al at its-lehmann.de
Tue Apr 5 19:37:19 CEST 2005

Hello.

Mark Ahlstrom wrote:

> My new Nagios server had an issue reaching a couple of hosts. So I
> removed them from the configuration. What was running an average latency
> of 236.0 seconds is now running at ... 0.740 seconds.

Congratulations.

You found something there. ;-P

 From the manual:
Host Checks

Unlike service checks, host checks are not scheduled on a regular basis.
Instead they are run on demand, as Nagios sees a need. This is a common
question asked by users, so it needs to be clarified.

One instance where Nagios checks the status of a host is when a service
check results in a non-OK status. Nagios checks the host to decide
whether or not the host is up, down, or unreachable. If the first host
check returns a non-OK state, Nagios will keep pounding out checks of
the host until either (a) the maximum number of host checks (specified
by the max_attempts option in the host definition) is reached or (b) a
host check results in an OK state.

Also of note - when Nagios is check the status of a host, it holds off
on doing anything else (executing new service checks, processing other
service check results, etc). This can slow things down a bit and cause
pending service checks to be delayed for a while, but it is necessary to
determine the status of the host before Nagios can take any further
action on the service(s) that are having problems.

Or, in short: Host checks are necessary when hosts or services fail, and
while they run everything else is held.

Arno

IT-Service Lehmann                    al at its-lehmann.de