My final tweak to remove Latency....

Mark Ahlstrom mark.ahlstrom at managedmail.com
Tue Apr 5 18:19:47 CEST 2005

Recently I was experiencing check latency on a specific network. I
thought it was network related because I could get really good check
latency on one network and then really crappy latency on another network
-- with the same nagios configuration! So I built a couple of test
programs to gauge the check times. I couldn't duplicate a network issue.
My response times were showing me that the new network (where nagios was
running slower) was faster and my old network (where nagios was running
faster) was slower.

So I hit the lists again. And I found this...

> 30-03 19:15  by  Scott Behrens,   behrens(at)mcs.anl.gov
>
> So I had a latency problem a while back, and was unable to fix the
> problem. I just recently set up a test environment with 50 bogus
hosts
> executing ping as a service and a hostcheck. It seems that when a
host
> is down the checks do not run parallel and run serial waiting until
the
> check times out. I had similar problems with this other setup which
was
> in production:
>
> I am getting roughly 3354 seconds of latency per check and I am not
> sure
> why.
> Total services: 1812
> Total hosts: 175
> Metric Min. Max. Average
> Check Execution Time: < 1 sec 6 sec 0.345 sec
> Check Latency: 2967 sec 3859 sec 3748.046 sec
> Percent State Change: 0.00% 0.00% 0.00%

My new Nagios server had an issue reaching a couple of hosts. So I
removed them from the configuration. What was running an average latency
of 236.0 seconds is now running at ... 0.740 seconds.