only service info.

Bimal Pandit bimal.pandit at indoasian.com
Fri Apr 1 09:36:03 CEST 2005

Dear All,

yesterday i installed my nagios on fedora core 3, as of version i
installed nagios-2.0b2.tar.gz and nagios-plugins-1.4.tar.gz, the nagios
server is my m/c 10.10.1.1

starting with my PROBLEM
------------------------

what i want is
1) I want to check wether DHCP services is running on my dhcp server or
not?? i tried to check manually as

   [bimal at bimal bimal]# cd /usr/local/nagios/libexec
   [bimal at bimal bimal]# ./check_dhcp -v -s 10.10.2.3 -i eth0

but it seems that it is trying to assign an IP address to my machine
which already has static IP(10.10.1.1)!!

i.e. i am concerned about the services running on the machines wether it
is available or not??

ending with a TIP
-----------------
as i have learnet it hard way!!(may be because i am still a duffer) but
most of you will be knowing, so this is for those who know little or are
new to nagios(like me!!)

if your plugin is not working or you want to know about whether it is
working or not, execute the commands(plugins) manually e.g.

first check out all the options/parameters available as

   [bimal at bimal bimal]# cd /usr/local/nagios/libexec
   [bimal at bimal bimal]# ./check_dhcp -h

now test the plugin with the parameter and values, here i am taking an
example of check_ldap plugin. for this my ldap server is 10.10.2.4 and
my nagios is 10.10.1.1

   [bimal at bimal bimal]#./check_ldap -H 10.10.2.4 -b
dc=bimalpandit,dc=com
   LDAP OK - 0.068 seconds response time|time=0.067793s;;;0.000000

now you can define your own command in
/usr/local/nagios/etc/checkcommands.cfg as i did

# 'check_ldap_bimal' command definition
define command{
        command_name    check_ldap_bimal
        command_line    $USER1$/check_ldap  -H 10.10.2.4 -b
dc=bimalpandit,dc=com
        }

and in /usr/local/nagios/etc/services.cfg use

       check_command        check_ldap_bimal

that's all!!

now, could anyone point me in the right direction about my issue, i will
be thankfull for any hints.

regards,

Bimal Pandit