File and directory permissions ?

Andreas Ericsson ae at op5.se
Wed Sep 29 17:55:36 CEST 2004

Charles V. Boehnlein wrote:
> I can execute the check_ping and the check-host-alive via the command
> line when logged in as root

Rule number 1; Always try running things as the user that's intended to
run them. Many things work for root that doesn't work for other users
(try dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/hda if you don't believe me).

> but Nagios doesn't seem to be able to get
> any data back from any commands.

See rule number 1.

> I think I might have a permissions issue.

See rule number 1.

See rule number 1, and www.nagios.org. You want the documentation link.

> Am I making this too hard? Should everything just by set to owner
> nagios and group nagios? What about the rwx settings at the file
> level?

See rule number 1, and Google for "+unix +permissions +filesystem". When
you understand how it works you'll figure it out in about 30 seconds.

> Thanks, Charles

You're welcome.

Andreas Ericsson                   andreas.ericsson at op5.se
Lead Developer