AW: Cascading Services/Service hierarchy

Andreas Ericsson ae at op5.se
Wed Sep 29 17:40:41 CEST 2004

Robert Nelson wrote:
> I hesitate to jump in the middle here, but I couldn't help but comment
> on the following portion:
>

>>It wasn't, but as I've said before, we do this for free on our spare
>>time and by re-asking questions you've already been given an
>>answer to
>>you're not making any of us more willing to help.
>

> Being told that something is trivial is NOT an answer, unless the
> question is "Is X trivial or not?"

If you jumped up in the middle you might have missed that I was
backreferencing to a solution already given.

> I too have read the documentation and
> have the same problems figuring out how to define one service that
> multiple services depend on, and also present it in a view that allows
> you to drill down. If nothing else, I do not know how to get it to work
> with the statusmap.

It doesn't. The documentation states quite clearly what the statusmap is
and what it's capable of. If you'd read it, you would have given up on
its drilling capabilities a long time ago.

> Again, being told that it's "trivial" doesn't help -
> I'm purely a network administrator, not a programmer. If I can't do it
> in a shell script, it's non-trivial for me.

Our original friend runs a service provider. I'm sure there are
programmers where he works, and if they're worth their salt it's trivial
to them.

> The other thing I'd like to say is that Andreas, you keep going on about
> how you do this for free, but then you tell us what your hourly rate is.
> Either do it for free, or go to that other site you pointed to. Sit, or
> get off the pot. If you're doing this for free, then you're doing it for
> free, stop telling us how you could make money elsewhere.

You obviously didn't read the entire conversation. The original poster
clearly stated that he wanted to save himself the trouble of reading the
documentation by asking questions here. I hinted that anybody who gets
paid more than willingly would answer his (repeated and re-repeated)
questions at an hourly rate. I don't know what the going rate is among
Nagios support companies, so I mentioned my own hourly rate as a pointer
to what he might expect. Personally, I would never set foot in an office
where noone is willing to read an answer that's right in front them.
It's just not worth it.

Andreas Ericsson                   andreas.ericsson at op5.se
Lead Developer