AW: Cascading Services/Service hierarchy

Robert Nelson rnelson at windchannel.com
Tue Sep 28 19:15:50 CEST 2004

I hesitate to jump in the middle here, but I couldn't help but comment
on the following portion:

> It wasn't, but as I've said before, we do this for free on our spare
> time and by re-asking questions you've already been given an
> answer to
> you're not making any of us more willing to help.

Being told that something is trivial is NOT an answer, unless the
question is "Is X trivial or not?" I too have read the documentation and
have the same problems figuring out how to define one service that
multiple services depend on, and also present it in a view that allows
you to drill down. If nothing else, I do not know how to get it to work
with the statusmap. Again, being told that it's "trivial" doesn't help -
I'm purely a network administrator, not a programmer. If I can't do it
in a shell script, it's non-trivial for me.

The other thing I'd like to say is that Andreas, you keep going on about
how you do this for free, but then you tell us what your hourly rate is.
Either do it for free, or go to that other site you pointed to. Sit, or
get off the pot. If you're doing this for free, then you're doing it for
free, stop telling us how you could make money elsewhere.

That said, carry on, gentlemen!

Rob Nelson
Network Engineer
Windchannel Communications