Checking a Win server behind MS ISA server

Nigel Kendrick nigel.kendrick at petdoctors.co.uk
Tue Sep 28 23:44:19 CEST 2004

I am having fun trying to monitor a Win2K server ('Server B') that's behind
another one running ISA server ('Server A').

This is where I am so far:

Nsclient is setup and running on both servers
I can get stats back from Server A no problem
Nagios on Linux server is configured to get server uptime from (B) through
port 1249
Broadband (NAT) router on remote site has a forwarding rule to forward
inbound requests on port 1249 to port 1248 on server B's IP address
Server B in nagios reports 'Socket timeout'.

I think I am stuck defining rules/filtering for ISA server on Server A -
it's not a product I use much - but rather than post what I've tried I
wonder if anyone with more experience than me can post some guidelines.

Users on Server B can surf the 'net and check email etc. so I presume basic
routing is OK - the config is as follows:

Internet <--> ADSL Router <--> Server A NIC 1 <--> ISA SERVER on Server A
<--> Server A NIC 2 <--> ISDN Router <--> ISDN Line <--> ISDN Router <-->
Server B

Site B/Server B will get broadband in November so the problem will go away
but I'd love to resolve this challenge!!

Thanks

Nigel Kendrick

---