Problem starting Nagios 2.0a1

Dale Hobbs dhobbs at chancery.com
Tue Sep 28 18:42:01 CEST 2004

I am having issues starting Nagios 2.0a1. I ran the configure script,
make all and make install, and make install-init. The problem that I'm
having is that it cannot find the lock file. I thought that the lock
file gets created when Nagios starts. Is that not correct? Below is the
message that I get when trying to start Nagios.

Starting network monitor: nagios

Unable to cd to "/home/nagios"

No lock file found in /usr/local/nagios/var/nagios.lock

in /var/log/messages I get this error:

unable to cd to `/home/nagios' for user `nagios'

in /usr/local/nagios/var/nagios.log I have this error:

[1096068327] Nagios 2.0a1 starting... (PID=10011)

[1096068327] LOG VERSION: 2.0

/usr/local/nagios/var/nagios.lock

[1096068327] Bailing out due to errors encountered while attempting to
daemonize... (PID=10011)

I'm not sure what permissions it's looking for. I have compared the
permission for the user 'Nagios' with those on a Nagios 1.2 installation
and cannot see where the problem lies. Are there different permissions
required in 2.0a1?