Error 403 (access forbidden) accessing the cgi files

Capacci Thomas mrcapacci at free.fr
Thu Sep 23 18:18:31 CEST 2004

Paulo Jardim wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I have installed Nagios 1.2 in my system. I have configured exactly as
> the documentation request.
> But, I still have problems to access the CGI files. When I select any
> option into the Web menu, I have the following error message :
>

>   Access forbidden!
>
>     You don't have permission to access the requested object. It is
>     either read-protected or not readable by the server.
>
>     If you think this is a server error, please contact the webmaster
>     <mailto:pjardim at bionexo.com.br>
>

>     Error 403
>

> The files are in /usr/local/nagios/sbin. I have verified the right
> access for these files and they are correct.
> When I select any option of web interface menu, the status bar of IE is
> calling for /nagios/cgi-bin/ instead of /nagios/sbin.

That's normal if you have (as written in the documentation) put in
httpd.conf
an Alias for cgi-bin then the server will use this alias to search for
cgi (so it goes to /nagios/cgi-bin but in fact it really goes to
/nagios/sbin. That's what for the aliases are made for (strange phrase,
sorry i'm french).
So the alias is :

ScriptAlias /nagios/cgi-bin/ /usr/local/nagios/sbin/
<Directory "/usr/local/nagios/sbin/">
     AllowOverride AuthConfig
     Options ExecCGI
     Order allow,deny
     Allow from all
</Directory>

Be sure that the script alias above is placed first just before this
following one:

Alias /nagios /usr/local/nagios/share/
<Directory "/usr/local/nagios/share">
     Options None
     AllowOverride AuthConfig
     Order allow,deny
     Allow from all
</Directory>

Then check if you set in nagios.cfg authorized_for_system nagiosadmin
Then check files authorizations.