Notification determination sequence

Collins, Steve Steve.Collins at industry.gov.au
Tue Sep 21 06:30:05 CEST 2004

I've been puzzling my way through the Nagios doco to determine why certain folk aren't getting messages I'd like them to get, and why others are getting messages they don't need.  All I need from the list is a clarification that I have my head on straight, or that I'm talking out my backside.

Here's my sample problem notification...

Drive Space on a Windows box (host name is itrwebdev2) being monitored with:

 check_nt -H $HOSTADDRESS$ -p 1248 -v USEDDISKSPACE -l C -w 85 -c 95

So, following through the doco under the "Notifications" section:

- Notifications are enabled System wide, therefore all relevant contacts should receive notices
- No scheduled downtime, therefore all relevant contacts should receive notices
- Not flapping, therefore all relevant contacts should receive notices
- Service is set to notify on WUCR, therefore all relevant contacts should receive notices
- Service is set to notify 24x7, therefore all relevant contacts should receive notices
- Appropriate time (60 min) ahs passed since last notification on same non-OK state, therefore all relevant contacts should receive notices

So, by my reading, the problem has passed all the Service/Host filters and should move on to the Contact filters.  From here, I think I may have dodgy thinking.  The service is set to notify the members of the webdev contact group.  These people are receiving messages successfully.  Obviously I have something right.

However, an additional group, online, who are set as contacts for:

- the hostgroup itrwebdev2 belongs to (1220allarawindows)
- the host itself (itrwebdev2)

aren't getting messages.

What I'm concluding is that contacts noted at any level - host, hostgroup, service are trumped in the following order:

Service -trumps-> Hostgroup -trumps-> Host

It may well be somewhat more complicated than that (which I'd like to understand).  Can I get a little clarification if anyone has the time?  I think I have it, but I want to make sure I have it right.

TIA.

Steve
--
Stephen Collins
Web Development Section

E steve.collins at industry.gov.au
P +61 2 62137193
C +61 410 680722
F +61 2 62136227

Decode geekcode at http://www.joereiss.net/geek/ungeek.html

The information contained in this e-mail, and any attachments to it, is
intended for the use of the addressee and is confidential. If you are not the intended recipient you must not use, disclose, read, forward, copy or retain any of the information. If you have received this e-mail in
error, please delete it and notify the sender by return e-mail or telephone.
The Commonwealth does not warrant that any attachments are free from viruses or any other defects. You assume all liability for any loss, damage or other consequences which may arise from opening or using the attachments.