Configuring Nagios

Andreas Ericsson ae at op5.se
Fri Sep 17 22:33:08 CEST 2004

Jason Martin wrote:
> On Fri, Sep 17, 2004 at 02:53:22PM -0500, Jason Payne - iland Internet Solutions wrote:
>
>>Unfortunately, most of us don't have access to a decent web
>>based configuration editor without having to sacrifice
>>functionality.  If you happen to find someone who has put one
>>together that doesn't hinder nagios' functionality that won't
>>cost me an arm and a leg, please point me in the right
>>direction.  Until then, vim it is.
>
> One problem I haven't seen handled well in the config GUI's is
> allowing multiple users to make config changes and yet prohibit
> one users's changes from breaking the overall system (such as
> reference a nonexistant checkcommand, or renaming a host w/o
> changing all the affected hostgroups/services).

We had this problem earlier, but we've worked around it by telling the
user what other objects he/she would break or affect by removing an
object. By clicking a link he/she can jump straight to any affected
object and see what particular variable is responsible for the relation.

> I patched NaWui to preflight the configuration, but if two
> people are making changes, just one persons mistake can prevent
> anyone from deploying changes.

Well... if someone reconfigures the mysql server we ship with our system
to permit phantom reads and makes sure he clicks delete for two
inter-relating objects at exactly the same time, he could theoretically
break the config with our tool too. I'm not sure he/she would want to go
through all that trouble though. ;)

Andreas Ericsson                   andreas.ericsson at op5.se
Lead Developer