AW: best Practice for Windows environment

Matthias Eichler me-lists at kernzeit.com
Thu Sep 16 18:56:24 CEST 2004

> I was wondering if there is a good and helpful document for
> implementing Nagios "agents !" on Windows especially in the
> presence of ~ say a PIX firewall~..

I would install nsclient and monitor the configured parts with
your nagios server.
You just have to assure that the server has access to the windoze
ips and nsclient port.

> My dilemma is :
> 1. How to implement or emulate ssh on the windows part?

I would think of two ways:
a) cygwin with OpenSSH
b) commercial SSH Server software
But if you want SSH for using check_by_ssh this will not
work as many of the plugins will not work under windows,
so you have to use nsclient.

> 2. How to monitor the event viewer in real time?

I think real "Real Time" monitoring is not possible with Nagios.
First you cant use active checks, you have to use passive checks,
means that an real-time monitoring agent (does any exist?) on the
event viewer is running and reports passive check results to the
nagios server.
But latest on this point you cant get real real-time, because
nagios is also checking the passive check results periodically.

Regards,

Matthias