Nsclient will not start (or at least listen)

Brewer, Robby robby.brewer at surgient.com
Wed Sep 15 23:05:55 CEST 2004

I did not find anything when I searched the archive.  We have installed
nsclient on hundreds of servers in the past with no problems.  I have a
single Win 2003 server that I have installed nsclient on, but it does
not appear that the service is actually listening on port 1248.  The
service starts, but a "netstat -a" shows that nothing is listening on
1248 and any attempt to monitor the server gets a "Connection refused".

I have checked the event viewer and have found nothing out of the
ordinary.  I have verified through regedit that the service is indeed
set to listen on 1248.  The service shows that it is running in
"Services" and I have stopped and started the service just to make sure.
I cannot find a logfile anywhere that may have more information.  I have
also uninstalled and reinstalled the nsclient service and received the
same behavior.  Does anybody have any ideas?  Thanks in advance.

Robby Brewer
Senior Support Engineer
Surgient, Inc.
512-241-4695