Error: Could not connect to MySQL database 'nagios'

José Faria mr.jojo at gmail.com
Wed Sep 15 22:21:38 CEST 2004

I have compiled successfully Nagios 1.2 with MySQL, and configured
resource.cgi with the proper attributes, but, when I try to use it,
the following error appears into nagios.log:

[1095277488] Error: Could not connect to MySQL database 'nagios' on
host 'localhost' using username 'nagios' and password 'nag'.  Status
data will not be saved!
[1095277488] Error: Could not connect to MySQL database 'nagios' on
host 'localhost' using username 'nagios' and password 'nag'.
Retention data will not be processed or saved!
[1095277488] Error: Could not re-connect to database server on host
'localhost' for status data.  I'll keep trying every 60 seconds...
[1095277488] Error: Could not connect to MySQL database 'nagios' on
host 'localhost' using username 'nagios' and password 'nag' for
comment data!
[1095277488] Error: Could not connect to MySQL database 'nagios' on
host 'localhost' using username 'nagios' and password 'nag' for
downtime data!

Using this command:
   mysql -u nagios -p=nag nagios

Everything goes fine, and all the tables are there. I already tried to
give full access to user "nagios", in any host and any database, but
nothing changed the error.

Any ideas?

Thanks in advance,
José Carlos G. Faria