Nagios 2.0 performance

Marc Powell marc at ena.com
Sat Sep 11 18:30:59 CEST 2004

I had two points that I was trying to make:
	1) The original poster did not seem to even know that database
support existed now and
	2) with the possible exception of extremely large installations,
the reading of the data is far secondary to the other processing of it
that nagios is doing (provided you have capable hardware of course).
Reading a 1M file takes what, 1 second maybe, probably more like
fractions of a second.

[betelgeuse var]$ ls -l status.log
-rw-rw-r--    1 nagios   nagios    1105838 Sep 11 11:26 status.log
[betelgeuse var]$ time cat status.log > /dev/null

real    0m0.011s
user    0m0.000s
sys     0m0.010s

I never indicated that the current database support was optimal but as
far as Nagios is concerned, it's a moot point. To the best of my
knowledge, performance is not one of the reasons database support is
being dropped.

I'm not exactly sure of the problem you're trying to solve by putting db
support back into 2.0 that the event broker can't handle but I certainly
wish you the best of luck with that project now and going forward. It
seems to me that trying to keep your code in sync with Nagios releases
would be problematic.

--
Marc