Nagios 2.0 performance

Ben bench at silentmedia.com
Wed Sep 8 21:58:17 CEST 2004

I'm in a similar boat. Nagios 2 is a vast improvement over the list
traversals of 1.x, but it's still pretty bad, even when keeping files on a
ram disk.

>From my profiling, it appears almost all time is spent reading the status.
Like you say, it seems like this should be able to be cached. I was hoping
that's what the database option would do, but it seems nagios doesn't
exactly use a database to its full potential.... instead, it just mimics
the same behavior as when using flatfiles.

When I ever get some time (haha), I was planning on looking into the
codebase more and trying to decide if I should impliment a scheme with
shared memory (so that would stay persistant between cgi runs), or a more
intelligent usage of the database.... say, maybe, using materialized
views. If anybody else has any suggestions on which path to take, I'm all
ears....