Nagios Interface Revisited

Robert Nelson rnelson at windchannel.com
Wed Sep 8 15:57:34 CEST 2004

> I was thinking, would this work: if you make a copy of the
> html pages for
> nagios and strip out the links and options you dont want your
> users to see,
> out them on another web directory, would it work for them?
> would this make a
> oogd end user interface without having to recode anything and
> without having
> to worry on them trying to click on something they dont need
> to or having to
> use another auth system?

Depends on which links you're talking about. You can comment out the
code for, say, "Host Details" in side.html, or make a side2.html that's
called from http://servername/nagios/restricted-user.html, or whatever
works for you. I did this once upon a time and made sure that you had to
be in a specified .htgroup to get access to index.html - if the users
don't know the URL's, they can't type them in. Using the htgroups by
itself might be powerful enough for you.

Then, I got the side.pl mod that someone else made (sorry, I've since
lost the email, should be in the mail list archives) and used that. It
customizes the navigation bar based upon the authenticated username to
show hostgroups the user requires, and you can also restrict the other
navigation links (altho it requires further hacking that is provided by
the perl script already).

Once I rediscover the mod that lets you have a "Show in status map" link
on every host/service page, I'll consider my Nagios install to be
complete...

Rob Nelson
Network Engineer
Windchannel Communications