Service/Host Alert Missing

Ben Moir ben at abuzz.com.au
Wed Sep 8 08:29:53 CEST 2004

Hi Nagios Users,

Has anyone seen Nagios record a Critical Alert but not record an OK
Alert even after the service has recovered?

Due to the missing OK alert the reporting shows a service as down 100%.

Our company is running Nagios 1.2 on Debian linux. We would like to use
more of the reporting features in Nagios but the reports are full of
inconsistencies. The inconsistencies trace back to missing OK alerts.

For example in the log the following message exists:
[08-09-2004 15:54:47] SERVICE ALERT: club0001;PING;CRITICAL;HARD;1;PING
CRITICAL - Packet loss = 100%

However this message does not exist:
[XX-XX-XXXX XX:XX:XX] SERVICE ALERT: club0001;PING;OK;HARD;5;PING OK -
Packet loss = 0%, RTA = XXX.XX ms

It is not isolated to one host or one service. Some services went
Critical in March 2004 and the OK alert has still not been sent. Nagios
has been restarted.

To see if the problem exists these are the steps to reproduce:

1. Click Availability Report
2. Select "Service(s)" radio box.
3. Click Continue button.
4. Select "ALL SERVICES"
5. Click Continue.
6. Click "Create Avaliability Report"

Look in the "% Time Critical" column. Several services have 100%
recorded however this is not possible since the service has been OK for
months.

Is there known issues with reporting in Nagios?

Ben Moir