7000 services and status.cgi

Greg Vickers g.vickers at qut.edu.au
Wed Sep 8 03:38:47 CEST 2004

Hi all,

I've kludged together a lab monitoring system using Nagios. The lab hosts
use NSCA to send "I'm available" or "Someone is using me" back to Nagios,
then a cluster check generates the number of available or unavailable lab
hosts for use in a cgi which gets called by a jsp which is part of a
external (to the Nagios server) web site... phew. (Did some regex in JDK
1.4 so the jsp parses the list of Faculties and iterates across them on a
campus so I can put a GET statement ?view=kiosk and I've got a kiosk mode
for display for the PHBs :D - the regex stuff was because of the way the
jsp site that I had to use was laid out.)

I've recently leaped from 2000 services to 7000 services after adding 5000
passive service checks from the majority (~1500) of the lab hosts across
the enterprise. (A lot of these hosts have up to six services per host,
most only have two services per host.) A couple of users who will remain
nameless have the status of their hosts (not lab hosts) up on a web page
24x7, fair enough.
When status.cgi runs, it is using 99% of cpu, and often there are two or
more instances of status.cgi running so the load is climbing (usually over
3 when before the lab hosts it rarely got over 1) and the response time of
the web server is declining.

Apart from putting in Nagios 2.0 (which I know quite a few people are using
in a production environment, and apparently has better algorithms for
pulling <blah>.cgi information?), what else could I do to reduce the load?

Thanks,

=================================
Greg Vickers
Computer Systems Officer