can't get authentication working properly...

nagios at mm.quex.org nagios at mm.quex.org
Mon Sep 6 03:03:46 CEST 2004

On Sun, Sep 05, 2004 at 08:11:02PM -0400, Henry Van Styn wrote:

> I have followed the documentation to setup authentication for the
> cgis, however, no matter what I do I keep getting:
>
> "It appears as though you do not have permission to view information
> for any of the hosts you requested..."
>
> I have tried setting "use_authentication=0" just to troubleshoot and
> to get it to work. But no matter what, it always says "It appears as
> though you do not have permission to view information for any of the
> hosts you requested..."
>
> Yes, I am restarting nagios after each change to cgi.cfg.

You don't need to restart Nagios after changing the cgi.cfg - that
file is only read by the CGI scripts, and it's processed every time
you hit any of the CGI pages.

Verify that the other Nagios configuration files can be read by the
user that Apache is running as - typically this is something like
"apache" or "www-data".  Usually you'd just set all the config files
to be world-readable, aside from the resources.cfg (or whatever you
set resource_file in nagios.cfg to) so you can store passwords and such
in that file.  If the CGI's can't read the configuration they'll
produce that rather generic error.

It's also possible there's an error in one of the config files, but
Nagios wouldn't restart if that was the case.  You can check that
by running:  nagios -v /path/to/nagios.cfg