can't get authentication working properly...

Henry Van Styn nagios at vanstyn.com
Mon Sep 6 02:11:02 CEST 2004

Hello all:

I have followed the documentation to setup authentication for the cgis, however, no matter what I do I keep getting:

"It appears as though you do not have permission to view information for any of the hosts you requested..."

I have setup http authentication per the documentation, which works. I login as the username vanstyn and Apache grants me access to the cgis. I have specified the same username (vanstyn) in cgi.cfg. I have granted access to this username in every "authorized" line, such as

authorized_for_all_services=vanstyn

I have tried setting "use_authentication=0" just to troubleshoot and to get it to work. But no matter what, it always says "It appears as though you do not have permission to view information for any of the hosts you requested..."

Yes, I am restarting nagios after each change to cgi.cfg.

I verified that nagios is reading the cgi.cfg file, because I changed show_context_help from 1 to 0, restarted, and watched the question mark icon disappear.

What am I doing wrong?

Thank you!

- vanstyn