NSCLIENT - Connection refused under load?

sphillips at netstarnetworks.com sphillips at netstarnetworks.com
Wed Sep 1 09:41:44 CEST 2004

All,

I am having a few issues with NSCLIENT and Nagios, perhaps some helpful person
can be of assistance :-)

Currently we're trialling a service for a client in which we want to monitor
approximately 50 different items from Windows using NSCLIENT.  These include
service up/down, and perfmon stats as well as the usual disk usage, CPU load
and so on.

When we increase the number of checks on NSCLIENT above approxmiately 15 or
so, we start receiving "Connection refused by host" from check_nt on the
Windows box(es) we're trying to monitor.  These connection refused messages
seem to happen fairly randomly.  We also receive what appear to be false
'zero' responses for some counters sometimes (e.g. on a busy webserver,
"0.000 hits/minute" or some such).

Neither the monitoring server nor the server being monitored are under
significant CPU or I/O load.  The version of Nagios is 1.1 and the version
of NSCLIENT is 1.0.7.1.

Can anyone help?

Thanks,

regards,

Simon.

--
Simon Phillips
Technical Consultant

Phone: +61 2 9805 9805 (Switch)       Phone: +61 2 9805 9853 (Direct)
Email: sphillips at netstarnetworks.com

NetStar provides solutions for voice, data and security networks.
NetStar Australia is a Quality Endorsed Company to ISO 9001/2000
           Visit us at http://www.netstarnetworks.com