Alerting on 'rate' thresholds

Spyou spyou at club-internet.fr
Thu Oct 28 12:05:57 CEST 2004

At 02:32 28/10/2004, Nathan Ward wrote:
>I am looking at using the nagios performance data framework for putting
>data in to RRD for graphing, which enables several possible ideas: - Write
>a wrapper around each of the checks that return this performance data,
>which knows how to read a value from RRD and compare it against a
>threshold. Of course, this means that I am checking data that is >=
>normal_check_interval old, not the data I have just read.

I've used the service_perfdata_command=<script> to store datas returned by
check commands in a temp file with a short C program that run fast (i've
got some 1200 checks to do & store every 5 minuts :)) (typically, i store a
line with timestamp;hostname;servicename;outputdatas).

A parser (perl power) is launched every minuts and write informations into
RRDs databases (with the correct timestamp, wich is, hopefully, the check
timestamp .. +/- 1 sec, for each information)

After that, you can do some fun stuffs like monitoring your RRDs databases
to check average bandwidth usage for the last xxx minuts .. (i use it on
the last month for some internet links to check i'm not going to quickly
over my bandwidth commitment) .. or see if a particular server's load goes
abnormaly high (ie "the load on the last 30 minuts is more than two time
the load on the same period on the last week")
'Spyou' - www.spyou.org - root at spyou.org
  #gtr  ircnet.nerim.net - UIN : 6871374

Don't dream it,
Be it.