check_load question

Jason Williams jwilliams at courtesymortgage.com
Tue Oct 26 22:58:10 CEST 2004

Hello everyone.

I am using Nagios on a Fedora Core 2 box. It is currently monitoring about
7 servers, with a variety of the option to check.
Im still learning Nagios, but one thing that I find puzzling is when I am
attempting to use the check_load plugin.

Right now, I have check_load setup to monitor two of my mail servers, and
one apache server.

What is odd is that it never seems to update the load average consistently.
Most of the time, it just shows 0.00  0.00  0.00
Then every once and awhile, it will show a load average, althought not
right now, it does show something besides all zeros.

Anyway, so I have been trying to figure out what exactly is going on here
and seeing if I missed something.

Here is what I have setup on my checkcommands.cgi:

# 'check_load' command definition
define command{
         command_name    check_load
         command_line    $USER1$/check_load -w $ARG1$ -c $ARG2$
         }

And here is the entry in my services.cfg:

# Service definition
define service{
         use                             generic-service         ; Name of
service template to use

         host_name                       oxygen, corpmail, Mail-Gateway
         service_description             Load-AVG
         is_volatile                     0
         check_period                    24x7
         max_check_attempts              3
         normal_check_interval           5
         retry_check_interval            1
         contact_groups                  UNIX-admins
         notification_interval           120
         notification_period             24x7
         notification_options            w,u,c,r
         check_command                   check_load!1!2
         }

Like I said, still getting used to it and getting my feet wet. But thought
i'd ask here for some pointers and any errors I may have setup in my configs.

I appreciate it.

Jason