Host warning state?

Herman Suijs hsuijs at whitehorses.nl
Thu Oct 21 09:51:05 CEST 2004

On Wed, 20 Oct 2004 17:07:01 -0400 (EDT),  wrote:
> I'm considering writing some sort of shell script to walk through my
> services file, scooping up all the services, and then using the host
> escalations I've already defined as a template to write out a gigantic
> escalations.cfg, but there would be so much redundant information in there
> even if I use massive templating, it seems like there has to be an easier
> way.

For dependencies there is a similar problem. I monitor a set of hosts and most of the services are checked with nagios-stat. This means that if on 1 host the nagios-statd is down, then a mail is send for every check that is based on nagios-stat.

To prevent this from happening I wanted to define a dependency for every service on every host dependent of the nagios-stat version check. This creates 2 problems:
1. The problem you mention. I define all my services on hostgroups, which means 1 service-definition needs 1 to 5 dependency definitions.
2. I wrote a script to generate all the dependencies I wanted (about 250), but now it seems that some dependencies generate errors. Nagios thinks the service on the particular host does not exist, because it is defined on the hostgroup.

If there is a better way to do the escalations (e.g. on hosts for all defined services, on hostgroups for all defined hosts, etc) then my problems are solved.
Otherwise, you may want to see my scripts to help you.

The second problem however seems to me like a bug.
Somebody else encountered this problem ?

FYI: I'm using Debian with Nagios 1.1 (testing with Nagios 1.2) and plugins 1.3.1.0-9.

Thanx.

  Herman Suijs

  Whitehorses B.V.
  Dukatenburg 84a, Nieuwegein, +31 (0)30 - 600 4720
  Malburgse Sluis 27, Arnhem, +31 (0)26 - 322 6900
  Mobiel: +31 (0)6 52002531

Meer weten over nieuwe en interessante Oracle en Java ontwikkelingen?
Wat ze voor u betekenen en wat u er aan heeft?
Lees dan onze maandelijkse Whitebooks op www.whitehorses.nl.