What's This?

Dan Stromberg strombrg at dcs.nac.uci.edu
Tue Oct 19 22:03:36 CEST 2004

On Tue, 2004-10-19 at 11:07, João Paulo Vaz da Silva wrote:
> Hi guys, help me what's this?
>
> [root at support libexec]# ./check_ping -H 10.4.1.70 -w 500.00,40% -c
> 1000.00,70%
> /bin/ping -n -U -c 5 10.4.1.70
> Error: Could not interpret output from ping command

This means that check_ping did not understand what was output by the
ping command for your system.

One solution is to modify your check_ping to understand your ping
command's output.  If you check the archives, there should be a patch I
sent to the list that made check_ping work on RHEL 3, and likely FC2 as
well.

Another option is to get a plugin that isn't a wrapper for your system's
ping, but rather does the pinging itself.  I don't recall the name of
that package, but it sounded pretty interesting.  Hopefully the author
will pipe up shortly.  :)  This too can likely be found in the archives
though.