Nagios as loghost

Williams, P. Lane Lane.Williams at jhuapl.edu
Tue Oct 19 19:24:33 CEST 2004

Yes....I use Syslog-NG on my Nagios server....Microsoft machines send
their logs via an application/service called 'Event Sentry'.  Any unix
host with syslog can send logs to Syslog-NG.  I do not use my monitoring
host as a loghost, only as a mechanism to read and process and report on
large amounts of log data via Nagios.  Since Nagios doesn't like '\n'
(newlines) I had to re-write the check_log2.pl plugin to handle the data
differently.
My client machines dump data to Nagios for reading and then I use
logrotate to clear the logs once a day.....We have a loghost
elsewhere.....