false alerts

Tedman Eng teng at dataway.com
Fri Oct 15 02:05:07 CEST 2004

These are not false alerts at all.  You are experiencing poor performance
from your internet connection to your branch office, or perhaps the server
or network is experiencing congestion.

The first 2 log entries "soft" means that it indeed failed.  But your config
likely requires 3 "soft" fails in a row to be considred "hard".  Watch
nagios closely, and as soon as it reports a soft fail, try it manually.
Retry manually every minute to mimic Nagios's behavior.  You'll see the
problem firsthand, which should help direct you to source of the real
problem, not Nagios.