Host / Service dependencies

Marc Powell marc at ena.com
Thu Oct 14 22:11:17 CEST 2004

________________________________

From: nagios-users-admin at lists.sourceforge.net
[mailto:nagios-users-admin at lists.sourceforge.net] On Behalf Of Jeff
Engstrom
Sent: Thursday, October 14, 2004 12:21 PM
To: nagios-users at lists.sourceforge.net
Subject: [Nagios-users] Host / Service dependencies

Greetings,

            After reading through the documentation at
http://nagios.sourceforge.net/docs/1_0/dependencies.html I'm still at a
loss on how exactly it works.

            What I would like to accomplish is that if a host is down
that none of the services send an alert.  Perhaps I could even have
another notification triggered that would list what services are
affected by the host being down?  I thought about

<marc>
If the services are associated with the host (i.e. their host_name is
the same as the host they are running on) then Nagios just does this and
you don't need dependency definitions at all. If any service check
fails, Nagios runs your defined host check_command. If that returns
CRITICAL, notifications for services on that host are suppressed until
the host recovers.

There's no built in notification macro that would help you with the
second part of your question. You _might_ be able to do something by
parsing the status log to include the services on the host in the host
notification.

--
Marc

P.s. Please try to post to the list in plain text only. It makes
responding with proper quoting and context much easier and I'll bet that
more people will read and respond to your questions.
</marc>