Question: Service Availability Report

Marc Powell marc at ena.com
Wed Oct 13 22:41:29 CEST 2004

----Original Message----
From: nagios-users-admin at lists.sourceforge.net
[mailto:nagios-users-admin at lists.sourceforge.net] On Behalf Of Ronald
Sent:
Wednesday, October 13, 2004 2:04 PM To:
nagios-users at lists.sourceforge.net
Subject: [Nagios-users] Question: Service Availability Report

> Hi guys,
>
> Nagios Ver: 1.2
> Customisations: none
>
> Viewing the availability report -> host -> period (last month)
> -> first assumed state (host up)
>
> I get 100% Unscheduled Up time.
>
> State breakdown for host services shows the following:
>
> Service,% Time OK,% Time Warning,% Time Unknown,% Time Critical,% Time
> Undetermined HTTP,48.694% (99.963%),0.000% (0.000%),0.000%
(0.000%),0.018%
> (0.037%),51.288%
>
> If I then view the service - and change "First assumed service state:"
from
> "unspecified" to "service OK" - I now get a reading approximating 100%
(less
> the critical time).
>
> My question(1): how do I remove "% time undertermined" - short of
changing
> the source. It must be a configuration error on my part because it's
> calculated "% time OK" for 48.694% of the month without me having to
change
> the "First assumed service state:"

Please see the discussion from this morning on this very subject. Nagios
won't lie to you and say it's OK if it can't determine from the log
files that it was in fact OK, hence the Undetermined block. The FAQ's
have an answer to this as well.

> Q2: For the different service I'm getting the following CRITICAL state
> breakdown:
>
> State,Type / Reason,Time,% Total Time,% Known Time Unscheduled,49710d
5h 25m
> 40s,-0.145%,-0.145%, Scheduled,0d 1h 51m 6s,0.257%,0.257%,
>
> Total	0d 0h 48m 30s	0.112%	0.112%
>
> How did it get "49710d 5h 25m 40s" ??
>
> BTW I've had a look through all system clocks and it's synced.

That's bizarre and something I have not ever seen before. Is there
anything unusual about your log files? Did you change the log rotation
rate at any time or have a massive time slew? What was your reporting
period and report options? Is this a new service or one that's existed
for the entire duration of your reporting period?

--
Marc