Nagio "Pending"

Ian MacDonald ianbmacdonald at gmail.com
Tue Oct 5 20:50:28 CEST 2004

Hey gang,

I have a Nagios install, running on Debian Sid.  Specifically,

ii  nagios-plugins 1.3.1.0-9      Plugins for the nagios network monitoring an
ii  nagios-text    1.2-3.6        A host/service/network monitoring and manage

I have run the -v option, confirming my configuration is clean.

Status.log, Nagios.log show no indication of any errors.

Nagios automatically built me a default host on my gw using the
default generic-host template.
define host{
        use                     generic-host            ; Name of host
template to use

        host_name               gw
        alias                   Default Gateway
        address                 10.x.x.x
        check_command           check-host-alive
        max_check_attempts      20
        notification_interval   60
        notification_period     24x7
        notification_options    d,u,r
        }

My service template for this host uses again the default template,
which just pings:
define service{
        use                             generic-service         ; Name
of service template to use

        host_name                       gw
        service_description             PING
        is_volatile                     0
        check_period                    24x7
        max_check_attempts              3
        normal_check_interval           5
        retry_check_interval            1
        contact_groups                  router-admins
        notification_interval           240
        notification_period             24x7
        notification_options            c,r
        check_command                   check_ping!100.0,20%!500.0,60%
}

Anyhow, the host is pingable, but in the status map I just get
"Pending..." on a green background.  No data anywhere.. No errors,
just idle Nagios.  Lots of disk space everywhere.

Is there somewhere I can get more information on what is hung up?

On the command line I see:

# /usr/lib/nagios/plugins/check_fping -H 10.x.x.x
FPING OK - 10.20.0.74 (loss=0.000000%, rta=2.830000 ms)
#

Permissions are all set to the 'nagios' user.  The  named pipe
'nagios.cmd' disappears when nagios is stopped, and reappears when it
is started.

In my status.log, all I see is:
 SERVICE;gw;PING;PENDING;0/3;HARD;0;1097002350;ACTIVE;0;0;0;0;0;OK;0;0;0;0;0;0;0;0;0;0;0;0.0;0;1;1;1;Service
check scheduled for Tue Oct  5 14:52:30 2004

In my Nagios.log, all I see is:
[1097001364] Nagios 1.2 starting... (PID=628)

Any ideas?
thanks,

Ian.