Overleaping timeperiods and notification times

Andreas Ericsson ae at op5.se
Mon Oct 4 22:31:48 CEST 2004

Benoit Panizzon wrote:
>>He probably didn't. Just give each contact her/his appropriate
>>contact-period and set notification_period to 24x7 for the monitored
>>objects (hosts and services). It will work magnificently.
>

> Hi Andreas
>
> Unfortunately this wont work...
>
> Again the Problem:
>
> I have two Contacts: 'NOC' and 'SYS'
> I have two Objects (Hostgroups whatever). 'Routers' and 'Servers'
>
> What I want is this:
>
> Daytime: NOC and SYS get alle Notification from Routers and Servers.
> Night: NOC get's Notifications from 'Routers' but not from 'Servers'.
> Night: SYS get's Notifications from 'Servers' but not 'Routers'.
>
> So if I add a Contact and specify that it should get notifications during
> workhours, it won't get any notifications during nonworkhours.... (or is
> there a way to override that setting?)

Oh. I thought the other way around.. Sorry.
You could use escalations during daytime, and send NOC notifications
from 'Servers' during workhours through the escalations and vice versa.

If you do it this way you'd need four escalations. One for each
hostgroup and contactgroup, and one combined for all services of all
hosts in each hostgroup.

NOC should NOT be mentioned as contacts for the hosts and services in
the 'Servers' hostgroup by default, since they will get their
notifications through the aforementioned escalations.

> The only Solution I see right now is to enter every single person twice in
> contacts, once with a limitation to workhours and once without...

You know you can use templates for contacts as well, right?

I'm not sure how the web-interface will behave when contacts are only
contacts through escalations. You'd have to try that first. If it
doesn't work as expected, you'd still have to add them all twice.

> But that's a bit messy as soon as you get many admins...

How many are 'many'? I'm sure you can do it rather quickly with a bit of
cut'n paste, if worse comes to worst.

Andreas Ericsson                   andreas.ericsson at op5.se
Lead Developer