trouble with debian "nagios-mysql" install

Daniel maher dmaher at acetechnology.com
Fri Oct 1 21:39:24 CEST 2004

Hello all,

I've installed the nagios-mysql package via Debian, but have
unfortunately run into a problem I can't seem to figure out.  I've spent
all day going through documentation and forums posts every language I
speak, but so far have come up empty handed. :(

I'm receiving the (infamous) "Could not read host and service status
information!" error in the web interface, as well as the accompanying
"Warning: Monitoring process may not be running!" and "Warning: Could
not read program status information!" notices in the alert screens.

When I click on the "Event Log" menu option, it claims that I "do not
have permission to view the log file".  This is also true of the "View
Config", but /not/ "Alert Summary" - that outputs the logfile just fine.

Before you assume I have not read the documentation, or that it's a
simple permission problem, please continue reading. :)

A simple PS shows that nagios is indeed running.  The nagios logfile
does not show much useful information.  In fact, when nagios is
restarted, only three lines are generated:

[1096656298] Nagios 1.2 starting... (PID=21080)
[1096656298] Warning: Host 'am2dev' has no services associated with it!
[1096656298] Warning: Host 'am2dev' is not a member of any host groups!

Neither of those two warnings are show-stoppers.

As per nagios FAQ ID F0170, I've looked at both check_nagios and
check_nagios_db.  check_nagios functions, in that it returns "located 1
process" (in part).  I acquired check_nagios_db, which does /not/ appear
to be part of the debian-mysql package, and edited the lines pertaining
to the locations of my perl executable, and cgi.cfg .  It fails with
perl errors:

Use of uninitialized value in concatenation (.) or string at ./chk_db.pl
line 53.
Use of uninitialized value in concatenation (.) or string at ./chk_db.pl
line 53.
Use of uninitialized value in concatenation (.) or string at ./chk_db.pl
line 53.
DBI connect('database=;host=;port=','',...) failed: Access denied for
user: 'root at localhost' (Using password: NO) at ./chk_db.pl line 54

Reading backwards, it is clearly failing the DBI connect because it is
not reading in the database connection information properly.
Unfortunately, it has been many years since I've looked at perl, and am
not currently in a position to debug the contrib code. :/  That said,
the mysql database and tables are appear to be configured properly (as
are the associated user and db permissions).  In fact, the
"programstatus" table is properly populated with the nagios daemon
status information.

As per cgiauth.html (and other documentation) at the nagios website, I
have looked through the Apache config information that comes with the
package, and it appears to be correct.  I have also checked the
filesystem permissions for the status, log, configuration, and plugin
files.  Various combinations of user and group, as well as rwx settings,
appear to change nothing.

Does anybody have any suggestions?

Thank you all for your time.

--