CHECK_NRPE: Error - Could not complete SSL handshake

Nathan Oyler noyler at khimetrics.com
Tue Nov 30 17:07:16 CET 2004

Below.

> Nathan Oyler wrote:
> > I've read the frequently asked questions, and I am still stumped.
> >

> > I have Nagios running perfectly fine on one machine. I've planned to
> > move Nagios off of that machine, so installed a clean install of
Fedora
> > Core 3, and started going. Installed nagios 1.2 from source.
Installed
> > plugins from source. Installed nrpe plugin from source.
> >

> > On most machines I receive the "Could not complete SSL handshake"
> >

> What does "ldd nrpe" say on your monitored systems? Unless they are
> linked with openssl you won't be able to monitor them with an
> ssl-enabled client. Try running the check_nrpe program with the "-n"
> flag to turn ssl off.

[Nathan Oyler]

The machine that works, and the machine that doesn't both give the exact
same links when running ldd nrpe.

They are both linked with open ssl like

"        libssl.so.2 => /lib/libssl.so.2 (0x4001c000)"

However, when running check_nrpe using -n, both fail but with different
error messages.

A check from the currently stable and running Nagios on FC2 to a host
that fails on the new nagios.

"sh-2.05b$ ./check_nrpe -n -H 7b1.dc
CHECK_NRPE: Error receiving data from daemon."

A check from the currently stable and running Nagios to a host that
works on the new nagios.

"sh-2.05b$ ./check_nrpe -n -H 7b2.dc
CHECK_NRPE: Error receiving data from daemon."

A check from the machine failing with nrpe to a box that doesn't work
for it.

"[root at triad8 plugins]# ./check_nrpe -n -H 7b1.dc
CHECK_NRPE: Received 0 bytes from daemon.  Check the remote server logs
for error messages."

Nov 30 09:00:06 7b1 nrpe[6390]: Error: Could not complete SSL handshake.
1
Nov 30 09:02:37 7b1 nrpe[6405]: Host 172.16.1.138 is not allowed to talk
to us!
Nov 30 09:03:25 7b1 nrpe[6407]: Host 172.16.1.138 is not allowed to talk
to us!

The Allowed hosts field in nrpe.cfg does include 172.16.1.138 on both
machines.