CHECK_NRPE: Error - Could not complete SSL handshake

Nathan Oyler noyler at khimetrics.com
Tue Nov 30 02:48:55 CET 2004

I've read the frequently asked questions, and I am still stumped.

I have Nagios running perfectly fine on one machine. I've planned to
move Nagios off of that machine, so installed a clean install of Fedora
Core 3, and started going. Installed nagios 1.2 from source. Installed
plugins from source. Installed nrpe plugin from source.

On most machines I receive the "Could not complete SSL handshake"

On a few machines, it works. These all work from the initial box I setup
Nagios with.

I have added the IP address in allow on every nrpe instance, as well as
restarted it. Some machines actually work, and display NRPEv2.0.

Other machines on the same blade center do not work.  They should be the
exact same machines installed the exact same way. (Should being
operative, but through history files I cannot find any differences.
These boxes were loaded within the last 2 months, barely touched since.)

If I run the nrpe check from the box that currently runs Nagios I get
NRPEv2.0

Even on boxes that don't work from the new box.

I have reinstalled Nagios from source. I've installed from RPM, I've
checked OPENSSL versions, which there is no pattern relevant to the
problem, and what version.

I am completely stumped. I hate messaging the list with something that's
explained on the FAQ and am awaiting what obvious thing I've overlooked.

Thanks.