Everything works! But I want more!

Martijn Lievaart m at rtij.nl
Sun Nov 28 23:28:53 CET 2004

Ben Hyde wrote:

> Nagios is wonderful.  I had very little trouble setting it up and it's
> humming away; bringing my attention to all kinds of trivial problems
> (like links with dropping packets).   Big sister and her false
> negatives is history.
>
> I was particularly impressed by the status map.  The drawing it
> spontaneously created from my hierarchy of parent/child relationships
> - sweet.
>
> So of course now I want to do more; so I break everything and can go
> back to hacking stuff together rather than fixing all those trivial
> things (like disks filling up) it keeps noticing.
>
> I have some devices (and some entire networks/providers) that I
> haven't puzzled out ways to monitor or represent.
>
> For example I have a modem i can't seem to monitor explicitly; so I
> made a host for it and put it parent/child topology.  But it hasn't
> got any services so it always reports as "pending."  What do people do
> about that?   I could make a fake service that reports that all is
> fine; but that isn't really the case.
>
> The second example is cases where I have a provider or network as an
> intermediary.  In a sense this is just like my modem.  I'd like to
> render them as a cloud with no particular status; is there a standard
> way people do that?

I hav e something slightly different, but still similar. I cannot ping
the upstream router. It does not respond to anything I throw at it from
this site of the link, even when I'm playing games with TTL. Effectively
I cannot monitor that. From there I enter the ISPs network, so a lot of
hosts are "next hop" after this router.

The problem is that occasionally my connection goes haywire. I can
monitor my end, but not the other end. So how to see if the connection
is good?

I use a little script that I adapted from check_ifstatus (see attached).
I now see I even forgot to change the progname and the header, well it
works.

Call like this:

define service{
        use                             generic-service         ; Name
of service template to use
        host_name                       Internet
        service_description             ping
        check_command                   check-multiple-alive
        }

 define command{
        command_name    check-multiple-alive
        command_line    /usr/local/nagios/plugins/ping_multiple.pl -H
194.109.6.20,194.109.9.99,194.109.6.66,80.89.232.177,80.89.224.64
        }

HTH,
M4