Passive service checks on windows via NAT

Steve Shipway s.shipway at auckland.ac.nz
Thu Nov 25 05:17:53 CET 2004

>> My impression is that the checks will need to be run passively from
>> the windows boxes themselves using nsca. So my question is:
>
>It's probably the better solution.

I agree its better than using lots of port forward rules.

How about installing a Linux server behind the firewall, install NRPE on it
and port forward the NRPE port at the firewall.  Then query the various
Windows hosts by sending a NRPE query to call check_nt with the various
parameters?

This would prevent you from having to set up more than one port forward
rule, you could stick to standard port numbering, and you could then use the
Linux server to perform any other checks required on other devices.  You
also don't need to worry about NSCA and all that.

Of course, it means having to have a separate monitoring server.

Steve

---
Steve Shipway: ITSS, University of Auckland
Email: s.shipway at auckland.ac.nz  Web: http://www.steveshipway.org/
** We can only discover new oceans when we have the **
** courage to lose sight of the shore.              **