Combination of check requests

Andreas Ericsson ae at op5.se
Wed Nov 24 17:30:48 CET 2004

Mark Hennessy wrote:
> I use NSClient on servers monitored by Nagios, and I was wondering if
> there was a way to keep a connection to NSClient open and make requests to
> it without it having to reestablish a connection for each check.
>
> Possibly, at the very least, if there is a way to batch requests so they are all
> sent to nsclient at once?  I'm referring to the communication between the
> NSClient service and check_nt plugin.  I am aware that this doesn't seem
> to be how any nagios plugin that I have ever seen works, but I'm
> wondering if anyone has seen this or tried to set something like this up.
> It seems that others who look at firewall logs get annoyed with the volume
> of traffic that is generated by Nagios checks and want to reduce that
> volume if at all possible.

Then make sure it doesn't log it. NSClient doesn't support keep-alive,
so you'd either have to
a/ hack up a polling-server running on the monitoring server
b/ hack up nsclient and install it on the monitored server
c/ write a plugin to request info from the polling-server daemon through
some means of IPC (although you could save yourself that particular
trouble and just submit them as passive check results).

Andreas Ericsson                   andreas.ericsson at op5.se
Lead Developer