Plugin to monitor SMTP->POP3 delay?

Rainer Duffner rainer at ultra-secure.de
Fri Nov 19 17:15:55 CET 2004

Tedman Eng wrote:

>There is a plugin called check_email_loop in contrib
>
>Sends SMTP MSG_2 / Checks POP for MSG_1
>
>next check:
>Sends SMTP MSG_3 / Checks POP for MSG_2
>
>next next check:
>Sends SMTP MSG_4 / Checks POP for MSG_3
>
>etc..
>

>The 'delay' is one check_interval.
>
>This works quite well, we're using it specifically for the purpose you
>mentioned.
>You can set up 2 or 3 different loops to check each of the SMTP relay points
>to make it easier to isolate the bad link in your SMTP chain.
>
>The plugin distinguishes between lost and pending messages as well.

Hey, I tried it and it seems to work quite well !

Kudos to the author ;-)

(I didn't know it existed, FreeBSD doesn't install the contrib-plugins
per default, I think, and I hadn' bothered to research...)

cheers,
Rainer

~     Rainer Duffner - rainer at ultra-secure.de     ~
~           Freising - Munich - Germany           ~
~    Unix - Linux - BSD - OpenSource - Security   ~
~  http://www.ultra-secure.de/~rainer/pubkey.pgp  ~