Nagios and DB support.

Andreas Ericsson ae at op5.se
Thu Nov 18 18:33:14 CET 2004

Ben wrote:
> On Thu, 18 Nov 2004, Andreas Ericsson wrote:
>

>>>Well, FWIW, one complaint I've heard about using NEB to hook up nagios
>>>and databases is that NEB can't read nagios config data out of the
>>>database, just store it.
>>
>>What would be the point of reading it when the modules aren't
>>initialized until after configuration has been parsed?
>

> Right, that's why it doesn't work without hacking nagios proper. :)

But it also means that the configuration is already there. Parsed,
stored and good to go.

>>>but it's an issue other people have raised, and I
>>>don't see a solution short of hacking on nagios proper.
>>>

>>But why would anyone want nagios to read its configuration from a
>>database? That would take a lot of effort and would cause a major loss
>>of its present functionality, not to mention independence. If I heard
>>voices about storing the runtime cache in database I could understand
>>it, since it would then serve a purpose. I've written routines for that
>>in PHP in case anybody's interested. It only works with nagios 2 though.
>

> I believe the best reasoning I heard was so that people could easily
> modify that configuration via a website. Obviously flatfiles can also be
> modified from the web, but it tends to be easier when it's in a database.

If the person writing that webinterface is too stupid to export
everything in a nagios compatible way, I don't give much for his/her
talent as a coder. More often than not it is also desireable to do
several changes, some of which might actually break the configuration
(until all changes are done, anyway), before saving it and thus have
Nagios reload it.

The storage format the webconfiguration interface uses is obviously up
to the coder who writes the interface, and I sure hope people aren't
stupid enough to believe that just because configuration is in a
database the interface to change it will write itself.

Andreas Ericsson                   andreas.ericsson at op5.se
Lead Developer