Nagios Process Check Command

Jamie Roughan jamie.roughan at mizuho-sc.com
Thu Nov 18 06:22:59 CET 2004

I am trying to resolve the following error,  Monitoring Process may not be
running

/etc/cgi.cfg file is same as example in manual

Example: nagios_check_command=/usr/local/nagios/libexec/check_nagios
/usr/local/nagios/var/status.log 5 '/usr/local/nagios/bin/nagios -d
/usr/local/nagios/etc/nagios.cfg'

/libexec/check_nagios : ./check_nagios -e 5  -F /usr/local/nagios/bin/nagios
-C /usr/local/nagios/bin/nagios
Results in following message - > Could not locate a running nagios process!

However /usr/local/nagios/bin/nagios -v /../etcnagios.cfg  results in ->
"Thing look okay" & nagios start ok.

FAQ solution says to modify the argument for the -C parameter based on ps
output . I don't understand the explanation.

For example:  -ps -C nagios -> result is PID=5389  # I don't believe ps
refers to PID as it changes each time nagios starts.